Restraint Safety Cheatsheet
- Use Physical Interventions only for the purpose of maintaining safety.
- Use only techniques which lessen physical dangers by using safer positions.
- Use only the least intrusive intervention needed to maintain safety.
- Discontinue the intervention as soon as possible when the risk to safety subsides.
- Only use Physical Interventions in accordance to applicable laws, policies, individualized support plans and personal/professional expectations.
- Do not use for behavior management because research has shown it backfires as a behavior management strategy.
- Do not use for compliance with rules or expectations because research has shown it backfires on you.
- Do not use for punishment or revenge because this is no way to demonstrate respect nor maintain safety.
- When you do use Physical Intervention, document the specific technique and placement on the body.
- Perform Physical Interventions only according to an authorized training program.
Ready When You Need It!
Print. Fold. Pocket.
Scan. Bookmark. Smartphone.